Southern States University (SSU) is becoming a leader in executive business education by providing its students with the skills necessary for managing a small business or advancing into senior management positions in a large company. Whether your interest is in the business of technology, health care, government, retail or non-profits, SSU will teach you the skills necessary for achieving success in today’s competitive marketplace.
SSU has campuses in some of the most beautiful locations in the United States – from the upscale South Coast Plaza shopping center which is known all over the globe to the amazing beaches of the Pacific Ocean with their breathtaking sunsets. Our campus in Newport Beach/Orange County (“The OC”) lies near some of the most spectacular prime dining, shopping and entertainment destinations in Southern California. Disneyland, Universal Studios, Hollywood and other major attractions are only a short car ride away. Our recently opened Las Vegas campus is conveniently located just minutes from the world-famous Las Vegas Strip. Public transport is easily accessible in front of the school to connect students with shopping centers and entertainment facilities. In addition, dormitory-style student housing is available within walking distance of the school.
Southern States University (SSU) is a private American university founded in 1983 in Orange County. With two campuses in San Diego (Fashion Valley and La Jolla) and one in Newport Beach, SSU is focused on training business-oriented professionals from around the world. The University offers a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree; Master of Science in Information Technology degree ; Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree; Certificate in Business Administration ;Certificate in Marketing; Certificate in Finance ; Certificate in Business Communications ; Certificate in Management Studies ; Certificate in Business Analysis ; Certificate in Information Technology ; Certificate in Strategic Management ; Professional Program in Public Speaking;Professional Program in Strategic Management; Professional Program in Business Law; Professional Program in Marketing; Professional Program in Operations Management; Professional Program in Entrepreneurship.
The University is authorized to operate by the State of California and it is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students.
In 2010, Southern States University received national accreditation from the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS). Our accreditation allows SSU to offer all degree programs (BBA & MBA), certificate programs (Marketing & Business Administration), Professional Executive Program (Public Speaking, Strategic Management, Business Law, Marketing, Operations Management, Entrepreneurship) and the Intensive English Program at all SSU locations – Fashion Valley, La Jolla and Newport Beach.
Southern States University is also licensed to operate by the California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE).
ACICS applies the following Definition of Placement to outcomes reported by member institutions:
- Placed based upon job titles: Any graduate or completer of a program that was placed based upon job titles included in the list of job titles published by the institution for which the program prepares students. These job titles must be those published by the institution on its web site in compliance with USDOE Title IV regulations and must be identified in the Department’s CIP-to-SOC Crosswalk (Standard Occupational Classification, U.S. Department of Labor) with the Classification of Instructional Programs (CIP) code of this program.
- Placed based upon the required use of skills: Any graduate or completer of a program that was placed based upon the required use of skills learned in the student’s program as a predominant component of the job. These skills must be those listed in the institution’s published program description and a majority of these skills must be documented in the employer’s job description as required or desired skills, duties or responsibilities.
- Placed based upon the benefit of the training: Any graduate or completer of a program that was placed based upon the benefit of the training received from the program in obtaining a new position or maintaining a current position, supporting promotion or improving job related skills.
ACICS calculates placement rates as follows:
(Placed by job title + Placed by skills + Placed by benefit of training)
((Completers + Graduates) – (Exemptions*))
* Exemptions are: pregnancy, death or other health-related issues, continuing education, military service, visa restrictions, enrollment in English as a Second Language (ESL) program, and incarceration.
Southern States University’s mission is to offer result-oriented, value-driven and professionally recognized academic degree and certificate programs to a culturally diverse student community. We are committed to fostering an integrated academic environment for our domestic and international students, enhancing their career aspirations, and providing long lasting opportunities.
The vision of SSU is to promote itself as a diverse and all-inclusive institution of higher education, to continually improve and develop quality educational programs, to enhance teaching and staff performance, and to emphasize student achievement in an academic environment that encourages participation, leadership, and collaboration.
Members of Governing Board
Dan Kuehler, Chair of the Board – Independent Member
University of San Diego, School of Business
Geoffery Forster, PhD – Independent Member
Southern Cross University, NSW, Australia
Managing Partner, Sunkosi, LLC
Gary W. Lawson, PhD – Independent Member
Founder/CEO Proud Digital Media
Jose Carlos Paiva Michel – Independent Member
Federal University of Rio de Janeiro
Information Technology and Services
Christine Probett, MBA – Independent Member
San Diego State University
Adjunct Professor, San Diego State University
Massoud Saghafi, PhD – Independent Member
University of Southern California
Professor of International Marketing, San Diego State University
Harold Rucker, JD – Non-Independent Member
University of San Diego School of Law
Core Faculty, Southern States University
Presiding Administrative Law Judge (Retired)
Denise Souza Mastro, MEd – Non-Independent Member
Universidade Santana E Sao Paulo
Director of Operations/Student Services, Southern States University
John Tucker, MBA (Ex-Officio)
Pace University, School of Business
Chancellor, Southern States University
Carmen J. Gomide, (Ex-Officio)
Pontificia Universidade Catolica Sao Paulo/Uniban
Chief Executive Officer, Tepper Technologies, Inc.
San Diego 65.6%
Newport Beach 80%
This rate was calculated as the number of students who started the program between July 1, 2007 to June 30, 2008 and completed it within three years (150% of the expected time for completion), divided by the total number of students who started the program between July 1, 2007 to June 30, 2008 , in accordance with the definition of “graduation rate” published by the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS).
The BBA program began in both Newport Beach and San Diego in August, 2008. Because students are expected to complete in four years, we have not yet reached 150% of the expected time (six years). Graduation rate information will be posted for the BBA program once we reach six years from the time the program started. To date eight (8) students have completed the SSU BBA program.
Presently, the Diversity Statement of the University is as follows:
Southern States University is committed to:
• Engaging our community to live a peaceful life in a multicultural world;
• Promoting an academic community whose members have diverse cultures; backgrounds, perspectives, and life experiences;
• Promoting freedom of expression as a foundation for the pursuit of knowledge; and
• Adhering to its Policy of Non-Discrimination. As such, Southern States University does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, language, culture, social class, gender identity and expression, ability, or prior military service in the administration of its educational policies and procedures. Specifically, the University does not discriminate in admission, financial aid, employment, or entry or exit from educational courses and programs.