Academic Advising and Support Officer / Designated School Official (Newport Beach Campus)
Southern States University (SSU), located in California, is an accredited, private American university founded in 1983. With four campuses in the San Diego and Newport Beach areas, SSU is focused on training business-oriented professionals from around the world.
The Academic Advising and Support Officer/ Designated School Official (DSO) assists the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs/Chief Academic Officer, faculty, and students at the Newport Beach Campus to ensure that all students are successful in an academically rigorous setting. The Academic Advising and Support Officer thinks critically to find ways to resolve disciplinary issues, including academic and non-academic issues, in order to ensure that students are receiving the support they need to maintain high levels of performance. Specifically, the Academic Advising and Support Officer builds relationships with all degree students to help create a positive and supportive university community, develops and coordinates all academic advising issues in the BBA, MBA and MSIT programs; works toward resolving complex student issues; advises students regarding information, procedures and academic requirements of a specific program. In addition, the Academic Advising and Support Officer assists the Chief Academic Officer in the daily academic operations of the Newport Campus and in the effective administration and coordination of the Distance Education Program. If needed, the Academic Advising and Support Officer assists students and faculty in the BBA, MBA, and English programs in non-academic matters.
The Academic Advising and Support Officer/DSO is also responsible for Designated School Official duties to communicate with the Department of Homeland Security/Student and Exchange Visitor Program via SEVIS regarding the non-immigrant student population in IEP and degree programs.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
I. Academic Advising and Support
• In consultation with the Chief Academic Officer (CAO) and Dean of Students, develop and maintain an overall academic plan for each student in consultation with the student.
• Monitor Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
• Responsible for managing and advising caseloads of undergraduate and graduate students. Work with CAO to ensure advising is done consistently and accurately.
• Assist the CAO in recruiting, hiring, evaluating, and providing training to faculty.
• Assist the CAO in supervising and assisting faculty in their ongoing teaching assignments on-site and online.
• Assist students online as needed.
• Consult with the Chancellor, Chief Academic Officer, and Dean of Students on an as-needed basis to provide information or obtain guidance on a variety of student issues including significant issues related to student dismissals, disciplinary actions, exceptions to existing policies and procedures, and related academic matters.
• Monitor, respond, or redirect student complaints, grievances learning and development opportunities and student activities including off-campus internships.
• Maintain student advising files/notes in a confidential manner and in accordance with FERPA and state and federal requirements.
• Receive petitions for transfer credit requests and work with relevant evaluators to make the proper determination on transfer credits and degree equivalencies.
• Responsible for ensuring that all instructional materials and equipment are in working order for all classrooms in both the Degree and Intensive English programs.
• Assist the CAO in the daily academic operations of the Newport Campus and in the effective administration and coordination of the Distance Education Program.
• If needed, the Academic Advising and Support Officer assists non-academic staff in the daily non-academic operations of the campus to ensure that the needs of students and faculty in the BBA, MBA, and English programs are being met.
• Other duties as needed.
• Issue form I-20’s to admitted and continuing non-immigrant students;
• Register students in SEVIS;
• Serve as transfer out and transfer in school on SEVIS;
• Extend I-20 program end dates upon approval;
• Cancel, terminate and complete student records as needed;
• Communicate with SEVP regarding SEVIS records;
• Sign SEVP documentation that requires DSO authorization;
• Communicate with other school DSOs to facilitate the transfer of SEVIS records.
• Highly organized and able to take direction.
• Task-oriented, ability to accurately and quickly complete tasks and move them to completion.
• Excellent computer application and written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent judgment, accuracy, attention to detail, and proactive behavior.
• Ability to learn quickly, ambitious, self-motivated, professional, honest, and dependable.
Degree and Experience Required:
• Minimum 1 year of experience in a professional setting (preferably in higher education) dealing directly with clients or customers.
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
• Experience preferred: Experience in advising or counseling.
• The Academic Advising and Support Officer /DSO is an hourly paid position with $17/hour, full time position with 40 hours per week.
• 1601 Dove Street, Suite 105, Newport Beach, CA 92660
How to Apply:
• Please send your application with your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
• Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above