Curricular Practical Training
- Where can I submit my CPT application?
A request for authorization for curricular practical training must be made to the DSO using an SSU CPT application form.( http://www.ssu.edu/wp-content/uploads/SSU-CPT-Application-Form.pdf)
- When can I apply for CPT?
You are eligible to apply for CPT after studying for one full academic year in an SEVP-approved institution. One academic year is defined as three quarters for the BBA program and three quarters for the MBA program.
- How much is the SSU CPT application fee?
The SSU CPT application fee is $100.00.
- Am I eligible for CPT if I am not in good academic standing?No. Students must be in good academic standing to be eligible to apply for CPT. Those who are on academic probation are not considered to be in good academic standing.
- Do I have to have a job offer to apply for CPT?
Yes. You have to provide your DSO with an employment offer letter that states the job title, intended start date, whether the position is full time (21 or more hours per week) or part time (20 or less hours per week), name, email, phone number of supervisor, employer tax number (EIN) and specific job duties. The letter must be submitted on official company letterhead with an official signature.
- How much CPT am I eligible for?
Students who use more than 12 months of full time CPT (this option is not available for SSU students) are no longer eligible to apply for OPT. Part time CPT does not impact eligibility for OPT.
- Can I work for any job with my CPT authorization?
No. CPT authorization is only granted for employment directly related to the curriculum within your program of study.
- Can I work on CPT during a Leave of Absence?
Yes, with DSO approval.
- Do I have to pay taxes?
Yes, as with any work in the United States, individuals must pay taxes on their income.