Southern States University (SSU) is becoming a leader in executive business education by providing its students with the skills necessary for managing a small business or advancing into senior management positions in a large company. Whether your interest is in the business of technology, health care, government, retail or non-profits, SSU will teach you the skills necessary for achieving success in today’s competitive marketplace.
SSU has campuses in some of the most beautiful locations in the United States:
San Diego, a city on the Pacific coast of California known for its beaches, parks and warm climate. Immense Balboa Park is the site of the renowned San Diego Zoo, as well as numerous art galleries, artist studios, museums and gardens.
Irvine/Orange County (“The OC”) lies near some of the most spectacular prime dining, shopping and entertainment destinations in Southern California. Disneyland, Universal Studios, Hollywood and other major attractions are only a short car ride away. A number of corporations, particularly in the technology and semiconductor sectors, have their national or international headquarters in Irvine.
Las Vegas campus is conveniently located just minutes from the world-famous Las Vegas Strip. Public transport is easily accessible in front of the school to connect students with shopping centers and entertainment facilities.
Southern States University (SSU) is a private American university founded in 1983 in Orange County. With campuses in San Diego, Newport Beach and Las Vegas, SSU is focused on training business-oriented and IT professionals from around the world.
The University offers:
The University is authorized to operate by the State of California and it is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students.
In 2010, Southern States University received national accreditation from the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS). Our accreditation allows SSU to offer all degree programs (MBA, MSIT, and Bachelor of Business Administration), Certificate Programs, Professional Executive Programs (Public Speaking, Strategic Management, Business Law, Marketing, Operations Management, Entrepreneurship) and the Intensive English Program at all SSU locations – San Diego, Newport Beach and Las Vegas.
Shortly following a teleconference on Wednesday, December 13, 2017, Southern States University leadership received word that WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC) voted to grant Southern States University “Eligibility” status. The following statement published by WSCUC accurately represents our standing in the regional accreditation process:
” Southern States University has applied for Eligibility from the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC). WSCUC has reviewed the application and determined that the University is eligible to proceed with an application for Candidacy and Initial Accreditation. A determination of Eligibility is not a formal status with the WASC Senior College and University Commission, nor does it ensure eventual accreditation. It is a preliminary finding that the institution is potentially accreditable and can proceed within five years of its Eligibility determination to be reviewed for Candidacy or Initial Accreditation status with the Commission. Questions about Eligibility may be directed to the institution or to WSCUC at email@example.com or (510) 748-9001.“
Southern States University is a licensed to operate by the California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (BPPE)
Southern States University is also licensed in the State of Nevada by the Commission on Postsecondary Education
ACICS applies the following Definition of Placement to outcomes reported by member institutions:
- Placed based upon job titles: Any graduate or completer of a program that was placed based upon job titles included in the list of job titles published by the institution for which the program prepares students. These job titles must be those published by the institution on its web site in compliance with USDOE Title IV regulations and must be identified in the Department’s CIP-to-SOC Crosswalk (Standard Occupational Classification, U.S. Department of Labor) with the Classification of Instructional Programs (CIP) code of this program.
- Placed based upon the required use of skills: Any graduate or completer of a program that was placed based upon the required use of skills learned in the student’s program as a predominant component of the job. These skills must be those listed in the institution’s published program description and a majority of these skills must be documented in the employer’s job description as required or desired skills, duties or responsibilities.
- Placed based upon the benefit of the training: Any graduate or completer of a program that was placed based upon the benefit of the training received from the program in obtaining a new position or maintaining a current position, supporting promotion or improving job related skills.
ACICS calculates placement rates as follows:
(Placed by job title + Placed by skills + Placed by benefit of training)
((Completers + Graduates) – (Exemptions*))
* Exemptions are: pregnancy, death or other health-related issues, continuing education, military service, visa restrictions, enrollment in English as a Second Language (ESL) program, and incarceration.
Southern States University’s mission is to offer result-oriented, value-driven and professionally recognized academic degree and certificate programs to a culturally diverse student community. We are committed to fostering an integrated academic environment for our domestic and international students, enhancing their career aspirations, and providing long lasting opportunities.
The vision of SSU is to promote itself as a diverse and all-inclusive institution of higher education, to continually improve and develop quality educational programs, to enhance teaching and staff performance, and to emphasize student achievement in an academic environment that encourages participation, leadership, and collaboration.
Members of Governing Board
Dan Kuehler, Chair of the Board – Independent Member
University of San Diego, School of Business
Geoffery Forster, PhD – Independent Member
Southern Cross University, NSW, Australia
Managing Partner, Sunkosi, LLC
Gary W. Lawson, PhD – Independent Member
Founder/CEO Proud Digital Media
Jose Carlos Paiva Michel – Independent Member
Federal University of Rio de Janeiro
Information Technology and Services
Christine Probett, MBA – Independent Member
San Diego State University
Adjunct Professor, San Diego State University
Erica Martinez, MBA, MSAT – Independent Member
University of California Los Angeles and Irvine
Founder/CEO Paragon Accounting Group
Massoud Saghafi, PhD – Independent Member
University of Southern California
Professor of International Marketing, San Diego State University
Harold Rucker, JD – Non-Independent Member
University of San Diego School of Law
Core Faculty, Southern States University
Presiding Administrative Law Judge (Retired)
Denise Souza Mastro, MEd – Non-Independent Member
Universidade Santana E Sao Paulo
Director of Operations/Student Services, Southern States University
John Tucker, MBA (Ex-Officio)
Pace University, School of Business
Chancellor, Southern States University
San Diego 65.6%
Newport Beach 80%
This rate was calculated as the number of students who started the program between July 1, 2007 to June 30, 2008 and completed it within three years (150% of the expected time for completion), divided by the total number of students who started the program between July 1, 2007 to June 30, 2008 , in accordance with the definition of “graduation rate” published by the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS).
The BBA program began in both Newport Beach and San Diego in August, 2008. Because students are expected to complete in four years, we have not yet reached 150% of the expected time (six years). Graduation rate information will be posted for the BBA program once we reach six years from the time the program started. To date eight (8) students have completed the SSU BBA program.
Presently, the Diversity Statement of the University is as follows:
Southern States University is committed to:
• Engaging our community to live a peaceful life in a multicultural world;
• Promoting an academic community whose members have diverse cultures; backgrounds, perspectives, and life experiences;
• Promoting freedom of expression as a foundation for the pursuit of knowledge; and
• Adhering to its Policy of Non-Discrimination. As such, Southern States University does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, language, culture, social class, gender identity and expression, ability, or prior military service in the administration of its educational policies and procedures. Specifically, the University does not discriminate in admission, financial aid, employment, or entry or exit from educational courses and programs.